Book: Kuwi and Friends Maori Picture Dictionary
by Kat Quin and Pania Papa
Hardcover, 68pp, Illustrated Publishing, 2020
Whilst Kuwi and Friends is a series of childrens' books and toys, don't be mislead into thinking this Maori Picture Dictionary is just for kids. Far from it! It is an incredibly good learning resource for all ages. And the addition of the beautiful illustrations makes it that much easier to learn the Maori words. Visual cues makes recall of words that much simpler.
At the beginning of the book there's a page explaining pronunciation, then the rest of the A3 size book is all about words, words, words.
Subjects covered include:
- The world - names of places, planets and stars
- Parts of the body, both external and internal (e.g organs and bones)
- Names for family members, from ancestors to babies
- Colours and shapes
- Units of time
- Special days e.g. ANZAC Day
- Inhabitants of the ocean, like cockles, starfish, fish, penguins etc
- Native birds
- Native plants
- Reptiles and Amphibians
- Other Birds e.g. emu, seagull, peacock etc
- Methods of transport
- School items and musical instruments, like laptop, whiteboard, desk, saxophone
- Parts of a house
- Living room items
- Bedroom items
- Laundry items
- Bathroom items
- Kitchen items
- Pantry items, like golden syrup, Marmite, chocolate, and more
- Fridge/freezer items
- Parts of the meeting house
- Parts of the marae
- Traditional Maori clothing and adornments
- Maori gods
- Formal and informal greetings
- Terms of address
So as you can see, they have covered a lot in this beautiful book. Definitely a resource to have on the bookshelf at home or school or work, as well as actively working your way through the book and learning all the most common Maori words.
Proudly created in New Zealand, and shipped worldwide.
Shipping Times during Covid-19
Currently (January 2021), Airmail to Australia and the USA is taking about 5 weeks, and Airmail to the UK and Europe is taking 6-7 weeks. Airmail to South America is at least 8 weeks, and allow up to 12 weeks.
Economy Courier and Express Courier are up to 10 working days worldwide.
As always, we do not guarantee Airmail or Courier shipping times, as they are beyond our control.
Courier shipping times within New Zealand are approximately one working day to the North Island, 2 working days to the South Island (with an overnight option available at a different price), and up to 3 days to rural areas.
There are no Customer Reviews here yet.
We'd love to hear from you - If you've bought this item from us in the past, you can submit a photo or review.